Skip to main content

Journey into Movies #1, 2 and 3: Across the Universe, Alice in Wonderland, and Almost Heroes

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were discussing what we wanted to watch that evening. A bit ambivalent about it, I told her that I had had an idea about watching every movie we owned, alphabetically. There were several movies I owned that I had not watched (some still sealed). It would be a fun way to spend nights rocking the baby to sleep.  My wife liked this idea.  There were some of my movies that she had never seen, too, and some of hers that she hadn't watched in years.

The benefits of an alphabetical order include ease of tracking, randomization on ownership, and especially variation in genre (until we get to Star, where we own 13 Star Trek movies, 9 Star Wars, Stargate, and Starship Troopers).  The first five movies on the list are a musical, a Disney cartoon, a dumb (in a good way) comedy, a superhero movie, and a romantic comedy.  This will make most movie nights different, which will be fun.

We agreed to do it. Every night we were planning on staying at home, we would put on a movie. We agreed to some basic veto rules (I'm not making her watch Beavis and Butt-Head Do America), but otherwise we would watch it all.

1. Across the Universe (2007)

The first movie in alphabetical order was the Julie Taymor musical Across the Universe, made using music from the Beatles.



I love Beatles songs, and the singing performances of the six lead actors were quite good.  In particular, their adaptation of I Want You (She's So Heavy) as being sung by Uncle Sam and soldiers during Max's induction into the army was wonderful.  Songs by side characters were enjoyable too, especially Joe Cocker doing Come Together and the young boy and choir singing Let It Be.

The problem is that the movie has six leads and no cohesive plot.  The one best described as our protagonist, Jude (played by Jim Sturgess) has a good storyline, but it can't stand out because of the separate plotlines of the five other main characters.  It comes across as "watch six people exist in mid-to-late 1960s New York."

If you enjoy Beatles music or musicals in general, give this movie a watch.

2. Alice in Wonderland (1951)

I bought the original Disney Alice in Wonderland, directed by Geronimi, Jackson, and Luske, on DVD after watching Tim Burton's 2010 remake.  But I had never sat down to watch it.  It turns out what I like is Tim Burton's aesthetic applied to Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, and not the story itself.



My first impression was that Alice was unlikeable.  She had lots of imagination, but hated reading and learning, which offends me deeply.

The entire story could be summarized as "Alice chases a white rabbit into Wonderland; sees weird things as she searches for the rabbit."  This isn't a plot; it's a hook that should lead me into a plot.  Without a bigger story, it was just a collection of individual, silly vignettes, some of which were fun, but others annoying.

Neither my wife nor I cared for this movie.  Even though we have a small child at home, we will likely be getting rid of it.

3. Almost Heroes (1998)

I will say this up front; I have a love/hate relationship with a lot of objectively stupid comedy movies.  Some I love, but others I can't get into.  I can love Bio-Dome but hate Bad Santa.  Chris Farley movies are movies I tend to love, and Christopher Guest-directed Almost Heroes is a fun one.



Almost Heroes is the story of a high-society man (Matthew Perry) and a tracker and general outdoorsman (Chris Farley) in 1804 as they try to beat Lewis and Clark at being the first to map a route to the Pacific ocean.  Perry's character is a weakling while Farley plays the same character he always plays: a very loud, bumbling oaf who somehow manages to succeed despite his idiocy.

The sequence where Farley needs to retrieve the egg of an eagle holds up as one of the funniest movie jokes I've seen.

It's not the best Farley movie, but it's fun and it made me laugh.  That's all I want from such films.

The next three: Amazing Spider-Man, Amélie, and Anastasia!


Comments

Popular Posts

X-Force and Cable: Dark stories for a dark time

Before jumping back into my chronological X-Men read-through at the first few issues of the X-23 ongoing series, I wanted to read more about Laura Kinney's activities after the events of New X-Men .  Following the Messiah CompleX crossover, she joined the new X-Force team also featuring Wolverine, Archangel, Warpath, and occasionally Wolfsbane, Elixir, Domino, and Vanisher. At the same time, I decided the read the post- Messiah CompleX Cable ongoing series.   Cable and X-Force both cross over at the Messiah War event midway through both series, so I thought reading both simultaneously would be a good idea. For this post, I read the following comics:   X-Force  1-28 (by  Craig Kyle  and  Chris Yost , 2008-2010) Cable  1-26 + King-Size Spectacular (by Duane Swierczynski , 2008-2010; final issue was retitled Deadpool and Cable ) X-Men: The Times and Life of Lucas Bishop 1-3 (by Duane Swierczynski, 2009) X-Men: Hope one-shot (by Duane Swierczynski, 2010) X-Force

Star Wars New Canon: The Clone Wars: Inconsistent Start but Fantastic End

I recently finished watching The Clone Wars TV series, and knowing what I do about the show, I opted to consume what other Canon material was available pertaining to the cartoon. The Clone Wars began airing in 2008 following the theatrical release of a tie-in movie.  It aired for five seasons until Disney purchased Lucasfilm in 2012 (the deal was completed during the fifth season).  All Lucasfilm projects were stopped at that time, including work on The Clone Wars and several other TV shows in development.  At this time, a sixth season was partly completed, and seasons seven and eight were almost completely written. Lucasfilm agreed to put the finishing touches on 13 season six episodes and release them on Netflix.  Furthermore, two four-episode arcs whose audio work had been completed but had only been loosely animated were put on Youtube.  Four unrecorded episodes were adapted into the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic miniseries by Dark Horse Comics and eight episode

New Mutants and New X-Men: Young mutants are the best mutants

Following my read-through of the early years of Laura Kinney, I decided to read about her time at the Xavier Institute, learning alongside other teenage mutants.  I decided  to read the entire New X-Men series (of which Laura joins the cast halfway through), as well as the New Mutants maxi-series that led into it. For this post, I read the following comics: New Mutants 1-13 (by Nunzio DeFilippi s and Christina Weir , 2003-2004) New X-Men 1-46 + Yearbook Special (by Nunzio DeFilippis. Christina Weir, Craig Kyle , and Chris Yost , 2004-2007) New X-Men: Hellions 1-4 (by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir, 2005) The X-Men: Messiah CompleX crossover event, which in addition to New X-Men 44-46 (above) includes the following issues from 2007-2008: X-Men: Messiah CompleX one-shot (by Ed Brubaker , 2007) Uncanny X-Men 492-494 (by Ed Brubaker, 1963) X-Factor 25-27 (by Peter David , 2005) X-Men 205-207 (by Mike Carey ,  1991) I read all of these on Comixology.  Though